Saturday, December 30, 2006

Hardcore

Two people have already e-mailed over that they're surprised I've been here a day and haven't been to a comic shop yet. Well, so as not to disappoint anyone, I went manga shopping today. However, I was having my glasses fixed and couldn't see too well, so I ended up just popping in for a quick look around. I did buy one thing though, Hiroaki Samura's new artbook, Hito De Nashi No Koi, or The Love of the Brute, which is its given English title.

Now Hiroaki Samura is probably one of my top three favorite artists in the world. Blade of the Immortal and Ohikoshi are manga masterpieces in my book. So needless to say, I was psyched as hell to find this artbook. However, when I opened it up and started reading it, my jaw dropped. It's a collection of hardcore bondage and S&M art. And when I say "hardcore", I mean HARD. I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance for sex and violence, but the imagery in this book is pretty freaking distrubing. It's downright sick and twisted, to be honest, taking things to the point I worry about the mind that came up with this stuff. The look of shock on my face must have been pretty apparent as Mutsumi asked what I was reading and I didn't want to show her.

Usually I would be the first person to push Samura's work on anyone, but while the art in this collection is quite beautiful, the subject matter makes me hesitate recommending this to anyone. Purchase at your own risk.

No comments: