Saturday, January 07, 2006

Manga Bits - 1/7/06

Two quick bits for y'all today...

An announcement in a special MPD Psycho promo pamphlet seems to indicate the popular manga property is now bound for the big screen, but not in Japan. The opening splash announces "MPD Psycho Goes to Hollywood!" indiciating it will be made in America. Not much other info was given except for the fact that it will be brought to us from The Weinstein Company. As I LOVE this manga, I'm pretty psyched to hear this! Maybe now Kadokawa will finally be able to convince Eiji Ohtsuka to change his mind and consent to put out an English version of the comic!


Also, in talking to Kia Asamiya, he told me that he will be taking the extremely rare step of selling off some of his original artwork! Most Japanese artists never sell their originals, usually for legal reasons actually, but Kia has made a few arrangements and will be parting with some of his penciled, inked and toned pages. It's actually the first time I've heard of a manga artist doing this. He's asked me to help him promote the sale in the States, so I'll have more details about the whens and wheres after I get back and talk to a few art dealers. More soon...

No comments: