Sunday, October 19, 2008

Always A Sucker For Cats

I usually make it a rule never to give money to the beggars here in NYC. I have some personal opinions on the matter I'll keep to myself, but it basically comes down to me needing my hard-earned money more than they do. Selfish, I know, but I'm a little bit jaded after too many years in this city and I always doubt where the change I give them would go anyway. I always make my donations to charity and in the form of food or clothing or something I know will be used, and I always give money to animal adoption centers. Which segues nicely... I do sometimes make exceptions for homeless people with animals however, and it's always usually folks with dogs that end up pulling on my heart strings. But yesterday, this beggar, who I am not even sure was homeless really, got one dollar of my money as long as he let me take his picture. He was just walking around NYC like this, his cat, named Nicholas, on top of his head like he didn't have a care in the world...

1 comment:

Seth said...

Ha! This helps prove my theory that with cats, they just let us think they're the pets & we're in charge when its really the other way around.

I suppose the same could be said of wives as well, but I digress.