Monday, October 27, 2008

Upper West Side Shake Shack - NOW OPEN!!

Expanding out with their second New York City location, SHAKE SHACK HAS ARRIVED! We residents of Manhattan's Upper West Side now finally have a real burger joint we can call our own! (No offense, Big Nick's and Nice-Matin, but you just weren't cutting it.) Located on the corner of 77th St. and Columbus Ave., right behind the American Museum of Natural History, Shake Shack had its soft opening last week and there was no way I wasn't gonna be there.


Yes, the lines were long, even though there hasn't been much hype about the new establishment yet. I got there about 3PM and the line already snaked around the corner. I was expecting a 45 minute to one hour wait, similar to the Bryant Park lines, but was pleasantly surprised it only took 20 minutes to get up to the counter to order. I'm sure this has something to do with prominently placed, easy-to-read menus you could check out while waiting inside and out, as well as three registers with experienced cashiers taking orders at a pretty rapid pace.


There are some new original items on the menu at this Upper West Side location, mostly Concretes, but they also serve specially made Shake Shack wine and beer here.


I went with my usual order, a Double Shackburger with cheese...


...and their incredible Cheese Fries...


...but I also added one of their Chicago-Style "Shack-Cago" Dogs this time around!


This Shake Shack has two dining rooms, one upstairs that seats 20-25 people, depending on if you wanna sit family-style or not, as well as a smaller downstairs eating area, that's also available for party rentals. We were lucky enough to find a two-person table with a window view upstairs and quickly dug in...




It didn't last long...



Mutsumi, who had never eaten at Shake Shack before, was blown away. One of the best burgers she's ever had, according to her! She had my favorite quote of the day: "It's SO dangerous having this just blocks from our home."

This new Shake Shack totally lives up to the impeccable reputation and high standards for quality and taste that the original Bryant Park location has so deservedly earned.

So who wants to make a trip uptown to join me for a burger?!

11 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!

I love that they have wine! Hilarious!

Rich said...

This is excellent news, though I am disturbed by your dismissal of Big Nicks (I get the Nice Matin one though!).

Next thing you'll be saying you have no time for Manhattan Diner or Utopia...

Tony Fleecs said...

Awesome. I'm dubbing you an official Sandwich King.

C.B. Cebulski said...

Sorry, but when it comes to burgers, Big Nick's is all hype to me. Their "famous" Sumo Burger is nothing more than an attraction created to get drunk kids in to attempt to eat that over-priced, overrated monster. I find their burgers dry and tasteless, the buns cheap and stale, and the lettuce usually limp and wilting, I'm sorry to say. They've also raised their prices significantly of late while their portions have gotten smaller with the quality remaining pretty piss poor, in my opinion.

They do however remain one of the few places I do trust for a tasty Tuna Melt.

Mel Caylo said...

Yeah, Big Nick's burgers were a bit dry. I remember having to douse it in ketchup whenever I had one there. But you are so lucky to have a Shake Shack nearby. I remember their burgers quite well. That would be equivalent to a Father's Office or The Counter opening up near me here in LA! Man, I am so craving a good burger right now...

C.B. Cebulski said...

I know and love The Counter and always make a stop for a burger when I'm in L.A., but The Father's Office? Do tell, Mel!

C.B. Cebulski said...

Speak of teh devil...

A Hamburger today spotlight's Father's Office today!

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/10/fathers-office-burger-sandwich-los-angeles-la-california.html

marc bernardin said...

you pick the day, man. I will travel far and wide for a good burger...

Scott Sackett said...

Looks awesome! I think we're coming to NYC next spring. We usually stay near, there we'll have to check it out.

Still it seems weird to come all the way to NYC and eat burgers, but I think I trust your food judgment.

Mike Hawthorne said...

That looks like heaven! ;)

Mike

aris said...

You lucky bastard. I'm all the way in Florida and there isn't a quality burger joint in the damn state!!! They don't understand the importance of grease!!!Dripping grease!!!

But, on the other hand, it keeps me well stocked in chopped meat and seasoning. Had two juicy homemade burgers this weekend...3/4 of a pound each...HEAVEN.