Friday, September 09, 2005

Time's Crushing Down On Me

I'm having that problem with time again. Too many things to do, too little time to do them. I thought I had it under control for a while there, but pressure has built again. It's all a matter of prioritizing, I know, but I'm finding it more difficult as time goes on. I'm being asked to pitch more and more and offers are coming in from places I didn't expect. I've had to focus and figure out what I really want to do, what I really want to write, and that's lead me to turn down a few offers I would have really liked to pursue. I hope I didn't burn any bridges doing by turning the work away, and I don't think I did as the people seemed cool about it, but even though I hate doing it, sometimes I just have to say"no". It's a hard thing to do, but I'm learning to deal with it.

I'm late on a script for one of my editors (Sorry, John! It's coming.) and shouldn't even be writing this, but I needed a break.

I've been trying to keep better track of where my time goes over the course of a day and I realized that e-mail eats up a lot of it. I love to keep in touch with people, but it really does take up an inordinate amount of my time. I hate shooting off quick one or two line answers and try to personalize every note, but I'm going to have to start rethinking that. I'd say I sent over a hundred e-mails a day, and even then I don't get back to everyone.

People keep teling me I should start IMing instead. Are they crazy?! Do you know how much time I would waste on that?!

No comments: