Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Another Embarrassing Revelation

The second season of Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County has just ended. I'm sad.

Yes, I was a fan of the show. (And I know a lot of you were too, but just won't admit it.) At first I thought it was pure cheese and couldn't stand the kids. I originally tuned in out of the pure desire to laugh at these punk kids and their "horrible" lives, but then it grew on me. Kristin, Jessica, Jason and the crew started to remind me of a lot of the stuff that happened to me in high school and had me reflecting back on shit I went through. It's always good to reminisce and the show actually got some of my memories bubbling, as dumb as that sounds. Different coast, different generation, but the similarities were there, be it in the relationships or friendships. Something clicked and it helped me with some writing actually...

But never fear, there's more Laguna Beach on the way. Two new shows starting actually!

The first is Laguna Beach Season Three, which stays in the same high school but now follows Lauren's sister and her friends. They aired the preview yesterday and it looks like a "real-life" version of West Side Story with rich girl gangs. It's all about the popular white shirt girls vs. the gothy black shirt chicks. Ooohhhh... Looks a little more ethnically diverse this time as well. Some of the girls who stayed in Laguna Beach, like Jessica and Alex, look like they'll be appearing too.

The second show is called The Hills and follows the post-high school adventures of Lauren, who was one of my least favorite characters on the show. But as she's a real person, can she be considered a 'character'? She moves to L.A., moves into a Melrose Place apartment with a ditzy blonde roommate, goes to fashion school, hobnobs at all the Hollywood hotspots, and gets an internship at Teen Vogue. Gee, I bet MTV and daddy's money didn't have anything to do with that! I'll tune in for a bit to see how she does, but this one looks more staged than any "reality show" yet.

And you better bet I'll be posting reviews!

1 comment:

hipchecker said...

Dude, you are so lame. My high school students watch that stuff. Watch, next you be on the Facebook website. If you want I can also order you a yearbook....