Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Corrections and Clarifications

Long time Chesterfest blog fan Benita Cebulski, a.k.a. my mom, wrote in to remind me that "a palette is for artists that paint; you're talking about a part of your mouth called and spelled palate!" Still correcting my grammar after all these years!

She also has a request: "I would have liked to see some photos of other things than food and beer!" Okay, mom, it's coming. Just keep reading...

In regards to the $25.00 movies, I found out that the tickets at that price are for assigned seating in the center of the theater in larger seats. Standard general admission tickets "only" run about $18.00. Still hurts my wallet at that price though. However, I saw Wednesdays are still Ladies' Days where women can get in for $10.00.

I also got a little explanation about the higher alcohol content "beers" that seems to be so popular here these days. I found out that technically it's not beer. The laws about beer here, particularly taxes on malt content, are strict and enforced, so the breweries use different processes to increase the potency and call it sparkling liquor or Happoshu instead, thereby skirting certain laws/taxes and creating a cheaper product by doing so. You can read more about it here if you want. Looking at my Strong Seven can, I see now it does say "liqueur" on it, not beer. Too weird! But if it tastes like beer...

2 comments:

Dan Taylor said...

At least your mom reads your blog. My mom does not read mine.

Ari G. said...

Beer wise, the US is similar. Officially I think anything over 3.2% is considered malt liquor. Typically 6-9% is labeled malt liqour, not sure of the exact law. And I think anything over that next threshold, 9%, is called a barley wine.

Had a nice Spaten Optimator the other day. One threw me for a loop. I think it was around 6% alcohol and said malt liquor in real small font on the label. ha!